Monday, March 20, 2017

Use Those Scraps

Today is my day to share a Project of the Week for The House That Stamps Built.  Do any of you have a pile of scraps that look like this?
 Well, I do,  so my project focuses on using up some of those scraps.  I start by cutting pairs of 1/2 inch strips, making sure I have at least two of each pattern.  I cut a base of scrap cardstock a little bit bigger than an A2 size panel.  As you can see, it doesn't even have to be a full square.  Then I butt two strips together and adhere them on the backside with a strip of tape, so they stay together.
 I use spray adhesive on my base panel, but you could probably use your favorite adhesive.  The hardest part is lining up the center piece, but once you've got that the rest is really easy.  I just lay the next two coordinating pieces right in the "v" (or around the "v" when doing the lower portion).
 After I have filled up the base card with strips, I use a stitched rectangle die to trim it down to fit on an A2 card.
 And here's what it looks like:
 I like to make tags using the small strips.  I just line them up horizontally instead of in the "v" pattern.  I use the same process as the card; I cut my tag shape first, apply spray adhesive and layer the paper strips.  Then I trim the ends off with my scissors to match the shape of the tag.
 And this is what my scrap pile looks like afterwards.  The pile in the lower right are scraps even I will consider too small to save.  The upper right will probably be made into another tag eventually, and then I have some larger scraps to keep working on.
 Here are the card panel and the two tags.
 And here they are all finished up.  Gorgeous, huh?
 I raided my bits and pieces stash for almost all of the additional pieces.  The floral oval and two of the blue flowers where in the stash; I did have to stamp a third to finish it off.
 The ribbon, vellum oval, die cut sentiment, flower and leaf sprig were all in the stash.
 The ribbon, circle, flower and leaf were all in the stash.  So not only did I use up some paper scraps, I also used up a bunch of items that had been made for previous projects and just didn't get used.
Supplies:
Card: 
Stamps: Repeat Impressions: "Daisy Solid, sm" and "Happy Birthday"
Dies: MFT "Blueprints 13" stitched rectangle; Spellbinders "Floral Ovals"
Tag 1: 
Stamps: Repeat Impressions: "Daisy Solid, sm"
Dies: MFT "Blueprints 13" tag; Spellbinders "Classic Ovals, large"; Verve "Sprightly Sprigs"; MFT "Smartphone" hello
Tag 2: 
Dies: MFT "Blueprints 13" tag; Spellbinders "Classic Circles, large"

As I was getting ready to create these projects, I had some help.  This is my big, stripey boy, and he is helping die cut.
 And this one is my baby, she's trying to blend in with my supplies.  My third cat was sleeping upstairs; he's too old to "help" any more.

Challenges:
Pixie's #273 & 274--anything goes with snippets
Come And Get It--anything goes
Hiding In My Craft Room #293-- 3x designer paper
CardzTV #5--anything goes
Creative Fingers #126--anything goes
Just Add Ink #351--Just add "L" (I used leftovers)
A Bit More Time To Craft #40--anything goes
Crafty Catz #162--a touch of pink
Brown Sugar Challenge #242--anything goes
Cute Card Thursday #469--celebrations (birthday)
Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps Wonderful Wednesday--anything goes
Inspiration Destination #124--anything goes
Crafty Creations #337--anything goes
Word Art Wednesday #274--anything goes with uplifting sentiment
Penny's Challenges #320--anything goes
Tag You're It #67--inspiration tag

CAS-ual Fridays #169--off the edge (my flowers are hanging off the edge)
Crafty Hazelnut's Patterned Paper--anything goes with patterned paper
Crop Stop Blog #26--anything goes (I've used products from Spellbinders, MFT and Spectrum Noir)

11 comments:

Janette said...

What a fabulously fun way to use paper scraps, we all have many I should think...
Thanks for sharing with us at CraftyCatz this week...x

Sarn said...

WOW - such a pretty card. The tags are lovely too. Very innovative way to use up your snippets. This must surely be a gold star contender over at the Snippets Playground.

See you on the swings!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Di said...

Yup, it's star quality Heather - brilliant way to use snippets. You did already get a Gold Star, there's a 'badge' on my sidebar if you'd like to collect it. Ha, you might end up with another one as well - certainly on the list!

Hugs

Di xx

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

Absolutely gorgeous Heather, the tags are so pretty and the card is wonderful. No wonder when you have such lovely helpers.

Love and hugs
Maarit

Kristina said...

Great card and tutorial to use up scrap paper - thanks so much for joining us over at the Crafty Creations Challenges Blog.
Kristina DT

Crafty Creations Challenges
Cards by Kristina

Marion said...

Fabulous tags - a great way to use up some of those scraps :)

Esther Asbury said...

What a beautiful way to use scraps!! Fabulous quilt card and tags!! I'd love for you to link up to the Cropstop blog where anything goes as long as you use some products from companies they carry in the store (you did!). You can check it out here: http://www.cropstop.com/blog/cards/march-challenge-link-party-26/

The Crafty Critter said...

Awesome projects! Thank you so much for the step by step instructions. I will finally have something to do with my drawers of scrap paper. Thank you for joining us at Brown Sugar Challenges.
-Miranda DT
TheCraftyCritter.com

Esther Asbury said...

Thanks for linking up to Cropstop - great to see your lovely work in the gallery!

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Fabulous, just fabulous!! This use of scraps is brilliant and such great results!!
I have boxes of stripes, so thanks very much for your step by step, it's very inspiring and encouraging! :)

Lori Smanski said...

this is wonderful. thanks so much for sharing your idea. I am off to make a card now. SMILES thanks to you