Thursday, July 23, 2020

Recycled wolves

Last year, a friend from church gave me a bunch of cards that she had received as promotional material.  She figured since I was crafty, I could come up with a use for them.  I gave most away to others who would actually use them, but as soon as I saw a couple that had wolves on them, I knew I had to save them.  A young man in our family LOVES wolves and I knew I could recycle these cards to create a birthday card for him.  And that's what I did!  I really loved the whole scene on this first one, so I didn't want to cut and use only pieces of it.  I die cut an oval out of the center, around the main wolf, and layered it on a medium gray cardstock, and re-adhered it back in the center of the scene.  Since it was so long, I used the same medium gray card stock to create a slimline base and also to die cut a circle for the sentiment.  I inked both the edges of the scene panel and the sentiment circle with a black distress oxide ink.  I finished it off with a little twine and a couple gray enamel dots.
 I got him a couple of gift cards and decided to recycle another of the wolf cards and a gift card holder from Duluth Trading to create a personalized gift card holder.  I cut the image out of the center of the card and matted it with the same dark gray cardstock from the card.  Then I stamped "a gift for you" in the upper corner.
 To cover up the Duluth logo, etc. on the inside, I added a piece of the gray card stock to the inside, first using a gift card holder die to cut slots for one of the gift cards.  I stamped a little "to" and "from" on the cardstock and added the names after taking the picture.
I think the whole ensemble was a big hit and was also a great way to recycle the unused cards and gift card holder.

Supplies:
Card :
Stamps: PTI "Just Sentiments: Birthday" sentiment
Dies: Spellbinders "Classic Ovals, large" and "Classic Circles, large"

Gift Card Holder:
Stamps: PTI "Just Sentiments: Be Merry"
Dies: Lawn Fawn gift card holder die

Challenges:
Krafty Chicks #517--all occasions (birthday)
Penny's Challenge #476--anything goes
Crafty Sentiments--anything goes
Pink Gem Challenge--anything goes
Crafty Friends #139--birthdays
Cardz TV #119--anything goes
Mod Squad--slimline scene
Crafter's Cafe #247--male
Creative Fingers--anything goes
CRAFT Rocket Challenge #72--for the men/boys
The Paper Funday Challenge #19--anything goes with the optional twist: great outdoors
2 Crafty Critter Crazies #42--anything goes
Power Poppy Creative Confetti--change it up (create a slimline card)

8 comments:

Melanie said...

This is such a creative idea. I love that you shared it with us.

Melanie Culbertson DT
Paper Funday Challenge

creationsnz said...

A great way to change it up and personalise it for your guy. Thanks for joining us for our MALE challenge at the Crafters Cafe, CarolG.

Judy V said...

Fabulous creation! Thanks for joining us for Week 15 at Gem of a Challenge!

Nance said...

Super creative re-purposing these cards. The images are gorgeous. Thanks for joining us at Krafty Chicks Challenge.

Diane Louise J said...

Thanks for joining our Happy Birthday challenge with your fab card.
Diane Louise
Team Leader, Crafty Friends Challenge Blog x

Regina said...

A brilliantly designed card and gorgeous image!
Thanks for playing along with us this month.
Regina DT-Member of Paper Funday Challenge

Julie Koerber said...

How creative is this? What a fabulous way to make something new and different! I love the look of these -- wonderful man cards!

Helen said...

A great card - thanks for sharing it with us at Penny's Paper Crafty Challenge Blog.

Helen x