Monday, October 9, 2023

Fall Birthday Wishes

 Quite often I find a sketch challenge with a sketch that just really catches my eye and I HAVE to play along this sketch from Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge was one of those sketches!

My sister-in-law's birthday is later this week, so I needed to make a card for her.  I went looking for a pack of Autumn print papers and instead came across this one that I have had for a really long time.  I have used most of the full sheets, but do have a lot of scraps which is perfect for this sketch!  (I still never found that other pack--I think it is buried under the mountain of stuff on my desk!)  I picked 4 patterns that I liked, trimmed them all to the same width and somewhat the same length.  Then I tore off the top and bottom of each strip (remember when paper tearing was the big trend??  I sure do; but now I never think to do it!)  Before adhering the strips to a cream card base, I splatted on some copper metallic paste after watering it down with quite a bit of water.  It's very shimmery in real life.  I die cut my sentiment banner and heat embossed the sentiment in gold embossing ink.  I layered it over another die cut piece cut out of kraft cardstock, offsetting the ends just a bit.  Then I used some twine to tie on a mother-of-pearl button that probably came off an old piece of clothing.  I actually used the back side as it fit my color combo better.  And done!  You can see the shimmer and shine better in the photo below.


Supplies:
Stamps: Verve "Better Together" sentiment
Dies: MFT "Blueprints 12" banner die

Challenges:
Snippets Playground #464--anything goes with snippets
Unicorn Challenge #92--autumn AND/OR Halloween
Crafty Calendar--autumn colors/Halloween
Sheepski Designs #79--autumn or Halloween colors
Creative Inspiration--autumn or Halloween
Lil' Red Wagon #725--fall colors
613 Avenue Create--anything goes with the optional twist: autumn colors
Make My Monday #211--autumn colors


7 comments:

Chris said...

a really lovely design- that's a great sketch! Beautiful papers and colours, so pleased you chose to play along at Crafty Calendar this month.
Chris
x

Sarn said...

Fabulous sketch and a perfect card made from it. LOVE the use of your torn strips and the bit of splattering beforehand was inspired! Your button embellishment is just right.

Thanks for entering a piece of homework to the Snippets Playground. See you up in the treehouse later. xxx

Di said...

Wonderful take on the sketch Heather - love the way you tore the ends of the strips of patterned paper. As you say, it was all the rage at one time - true when they say that old techniques never totally disappear!

Hugs
Di xx

Heather said...

So pretty, Heather - what an elegant scrappy card! Love your warm colors and patterns for Fall as well - your SIL will love this! Thanks so much for playing at Make My Monday!

Pamela said...

great way to showcase your DSP along with our challenge here at MMM. thank you for joining us

Dena J said...

Gorgeous colors and I love the swirls and movement in those patterns Heather. They really take this simple sketch to another level. Thank you so much for joining the challenge at Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge this week.

Pat K said...

Lovely colours and design for this beautiful fall card. Thank you for joining us at Sweeet Stampin. Pat K x