Friday, September 8, 2023

2023 Grad

Happy Friday!!!  It's time for a new challenge from the Cut It Up Challenge Blog.  This week, the challenge is: Back to School

Here is my card for your inspiration:


Now, I know, I know!  This isn't really "Back to School" themed, it's more "Done with School" themed!  But it is school related, so it is a bit outside the box, but I think it works.  I'm a homeschooling mom, so my kids don't go "back" to school and we don't have any teachers (except myself, and that would be kind of silly) to make cards for.  So, I went with a gradation card.  I based it off a this tutorial by Jennifer McGuire because I LOVED her card as soon as I saw it.  I HAD to know how she got the money as part of the card.  It turns out it is actually rather simple, but it looks amazing!  If you want to see another I made using the same technique but different layout, click here.  It took a bit of playing around with laying out the numbers, but once I got it how I wanted it and created a template it would have been very quick and easy to make a lot at one time.
In my opinion, the money behind the die cut number windows is the most fun part of the design.  But when you remove the money, the card still looks great.  You can see that in the photo below:
For this card, I actually used a patterned paper to back the windows so it would still be interesting when the money was removed.
Thanks so much for stopping by!  I hope you will hop over to the Cut It Up blog for the full details of the challenge and to see what the rest of the Design Team has created. 

Supplies:
Dies: MFT "Iconic Grad" cap and sentiment; PaperTrey Ink "By the Numbers"

Challenges: 
Word Art Wednesday #612--anything goes with uplifting sentiment
Penny's Challenge #554--anything goes
Cards Galore #115--anything goes
Die Cut Divas--anything goes
Crafty Calendar--anything goes
613 Avenue Create--anything goes
Lil' Red Wagon #721--square or rectangle (I almost always make an A2 sized rectangular card.  Why?  Because you can cut two card bases out of on sheet of 8x10 card stock.)
Snippets Playground #462--anything goes with snippets.  (All my pieces for the graduation cap, sentiment, and little star embellishments were die cut from scraps.)








9 comments:

Sarn said...

A fantastic card with or without the money showing through. Great idea from JM that you’ve executed perfectly.

Thanks for entering a piece of homework to the Snippets Playground. We’ve got the paddling pool out to splash about in and attempt to stay cool!!! Xxx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

This is a wonderful graduation card, especially with the money background. Love it without the money too, just as great as you say.
Faith x

Cindy C. said...

A great grad card indeed! Thanks for linking up to our September challenge gallery at Die Cut Divas.

Sylvia kaarten en zo. said...

Beautiful card. Thank you for joining us at Penny's Paper-Crafty Challenge. Greetings Sylvia DT.

Arlene said...

Great "Grad" card. You've just reminded me that I need one for a December graduation.
So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas for our "Anything Goes" challenge.

Jana Forrest said...

Wonderful graduation card. Thanks for sharing over at Penny's Challenge. Best of luck, Jana DT

ScrappyHorses said...

Perfect grad card! I need to tuck this idea away; so fun!

Di said...

Brilliant idea for the money part and such a super layout Heather. I love this card!

Hugs
Di xx

Helen said...

Great card - love this design.

Thanks for joining us at the Crafts Galore Encore Challenge.

Helen x
DT