Friday, July 21, 2023

Look who's 40!

I hate to admit this, but my younger brother is turning 40 this year!!  40 is a big milestone, so, of course, I had to create a fun celebration in card form.  I used bright colors, balloons, slightly cheeky sentiment . . . and a fun, unexpected element: a look through window.
I die cut a circle through each of the layers on the front of the card (that was fun!) so that the "40" looks like it is on the front, but it is really on the inside for the card.
When you open it up, you can see the "40" again, but also a second greeting.  This isn't the exact greeting I had planned on using, but the other one was too large and it showed through to the front a little when the card was closed.

 Supplies:
Stamps: Papertrey Ink "Big Birthday Wishes" (this is one of the very first stamp sets I ever bought from PTI and that was at least 12 years ago.  It is still one of my go to stamp sets to use for birthdays!)
Dies: Papertrey Ink "By the Numbers"; Spellbinders "Classic Circles, large"; MFT balloons; Verve "Pennant"

Challenges:
Die Cut Divas--birthday
Sheepski Designs #76--celebrations
{Pin}spirational Challenge #303--birthday AND summer vibes (I used very summery colors, plus I have stripes just like the tablecloth in the photo)





















Lil' Patch of Crafty Friends #210--anything goes
Make My Monday #204--an aperture card
Retro Rubber #211--tic tac toes (I used the bottom left to top right diagonal: ribbon/twine, patterned paper, and pens/pencils--I used a white gel pen to add highlights on the balloons--my stamp set is approximately 12 years old)



10 comments:

Diane said...

Wow, an awesome birthday card and a perfect take on our sketch, don't feel bad, my brother is turning 73 this year, yikes!!
Thank you for joining our challenge at Sketch Saturday!
Diane SS DT
{Nellies Nest}
{Sketch Saturday}

Dena J said...

Wonderful card! I love the stripes and banner and a really fun way to use that center element for the number. My youngest son turned 40 this month. I think they are in a conspiracy to remind us of how old we are :-) right? Thank you for joining us at the Sketch Saturday challenge.

Bonnie Lynn said...

What a fabulous card! Your brother is going to love it. Thanks for joining us at Retro Rubber challenges. Hope to see you again. Bonnie GDT

Heather said...

Dang, Heather, this is fabulous! He'll love it! So many brilliant details, and I love the colors, too. Just a beautiful and festive design! Thanks so much for playing at Make My Monday AND Retro Rubber!!

Arlene said...

Pretty awesome card! So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas for the Birth Day challenge.

Michelle N. said...

Love the color combo-great card design! Thanks for joining us at Die Cut Divas!

Jane Knudsen said...

What a great card for your brother! The brightness of the card should make his day even though he's turning 40! Thanks for playing along at Retro Rubber!

Gail Hutchinson said...

Heather what a great card for your brother's 40th. Love all the dies. Thank you for sharing with us over here at Sheepski Designs and best of luck with your entry.

Gail DT for https://sheepski-designs-challenges.blogspot.com/

Claire Grantham said...

Fantastic card for your Brother's 40th. The colours are a great choice for a guy, I love how bright they are. Thanks for playing with the Retro Rubber challenge this time. Claire DT

Lisa said...

Terrific use of the layout and I love that you put the 40 on the inside for the card and sketch. Brilliant!