Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Musical birthday

Last weekend, my husband and I celebrated our 21st wedding anniversary!  My husband's brother also celebrated his 39th birthday.  We got married on his 18th birthday to make sure he could be home on his birthday--he was traveling the U.S. on a music tour.  The music tour sets the stage for this birthday card for him.  I started out by stamping a sheet music background image with dark gray ink on white card stock.  Then I heat embossed the damask images over top with clear embossing powder and blended on a whole lot of blueprint sketch Distress Oxide ink.  The story behind that is this: last month my brother-in-law and his friend wallpapered his music room/studio in a dark blue damask  pattern; it was a tone-on-tone paper, but I was really hoping that you would be able to see the music music a little better through the clear images than you can.  But, anyway, it created a really beautiful background.  Of course, I had to include an image of a grand piano since he has one in the studio (he is an amazing pianist!)  I wanted to keep the card rather simple so the background could shine, so I die cut a vellum circle to help separate the piano from the background, but still let it show through.  I finished the card off with a gold heat embossed sentiment and a couple of gold sequins.
He has a youtube channel where he plays and sings; if you are interested in checking it out, you can find it here.

Supplies:
Stamps: PaperTrey Ink "Damask Designs" (my first set and I still love it so much!!) and "Rhythm and Soul"; Hero Arts Sheet Music background
Dies: MFT "Blueprints 13" stitched rectangle and Spellbinders "Standard Circles, large"

Challenges:
Pink Gem Challenge--anything goes
Simon Says Stamp Monday--Happy Birthday
Cards Galore #178--anything goes
Crafty Calendar--anything goes
Kat Scrappiness--birthday
Crafter's Cafe #248--anything goes
MFT Summer School Day 1--visual triangle (I used my sequins in a triangle formation)
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday--use your favorite tool (my die cutting machine--I can't make a card without it!)

6 comments:

Joy Wilson said...

Gorgeous card! Very elegant! Thanks for joining our Anything Goes Challenge at Lil Patch of Crafty Friends. I hope join us again real soon!
Hugs, Joy
Joyfully Stamps
Lil Patch of Crafty Friends, Owner/Coordinator

Liz said...

Gorgeous card. The background you've created is beautiful and I love you've layered the piano on a vellum circle so that background shows through. Thank you for joining in the Crafty Calendar Challenge this month. Good luck!
Liz - DT xx

Carol L said...

Happy belated anniversary and congratulations on 21 years together! I love the little story on how this card came to be made! It turned out so cool and I'm sure your BIL loved that you made it specific to his newly designed recording studio!

Dorothy S said...

Congratulations on all the celebrations! Such a great card for a musician. Sorry, it seems my original post vanished. Thanks for joining this challange at the Crafter's Cafe, and we hope you will participate in the new one. Dorothy S, DT member

Sladjana Perisic said...

What a fun card. Thank you for playing in the Lil Patch of Crafty Friends Challenge. Hope to see you next time.
Sladjana (DT for Lil Patch of Crafty Friends)

Aimeslee Winans said...

A+ for personal card success, Heather! You know how much I love making them that way. This will be a cherished card for sure. Thanks so much for sharing this at Love to Craft. XXO, Aimeslee DT