Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Beach Love

Welcome to another What If? Wednesday challenge from The House That Stamps Built.This week we have a lovely inspiration photo for you:
  
And here is my take on the photo:
 I started off by masking the horizon line and sponging yellow, pink, lavender, and light blue on the background.  I deepend the edges with a bit of navy blue and added several clouds in a light gray.  It's a bit hard to see, so I included a closer-up photo below.  I probably should have stamped them in a darker gray, but I wanted them to be subtle and they definitely are!  Then I took the mask off and sponged black along the bottom edge.  I stamped the palm trees in black and selectively stamped a couple more "sand hills" along the ground line.  After looking at it for a while, I decided to color in the trees' outline with a black sharpie marker.  It gives it the silhouette look I was going for.  I used the "love" from the Love Stencil stamp for the banner.  Once again, after looking at the card for quite a while, and on the advice of my sister and my oldest daughter (it was actually her idea), I stamped the "Sandcastle" image twice onto scrap paper with a dark brown, colored in the starfish with an aqua marker and caramel ink and then fussy cut them out and stuck them to the base of the trees.  It was just the "something" that we all thought was missing.  Here's the photo of the clouds.
I can't wait to see how our photo inspires you.  It can be the colors, the theme, etc.  And if you see any stamps that you "need" I have a 10% off your entire order coupon over on my left sidebar.

Supplies:
Stamps: Repeat Impressions Stamps:"9016M. Sandcastle", "1222G. Love Stencil", "2408N. Large Palm Trees" and "3403F. Clouds"
Dies: MFT "Blueprints 13" stitched rectangle and "Blueprints 12" stitched banner

Challenges:
Craftin Desert Divas--nature's wonder
Come And Get It--love is in the air
Fashionable Stamping #108--sunrise/sunset
Sweet Stampin'--CAS
Creative Fingers #102--anything goes
Crafty Cardmaker's #157--love, love, love
One Stitch At a Time #255--love is in the air
Unicorn Challenge #6--lots of love

16 comments:

joy said...

Beautiful card! It looks so peaceful!

Bunny said...

Nice horizon colors. I like the little bit of bling you added to the card. Thank you for joining us at Come And Get It challenge. Bunny DT

Barbara Washburn said...

Love the idea of masking part of the card and filling in along the way. Very pretty picture. Thanks for sharing at Unicorn Challenges. Barbara DT

Stampsnob. said...

Beautiful job would love to be there TFS Unicorn Challenge lis

Sandma's Handmade Cards said...

This card has such a wonderful, serene feel to it Heather. I love it's sense of space and the way you've created such delicate clouds. The palm trees make a great focal point and the star fish really seem to pop against the dark background. Thank you so much for joining us at Fashionable Stamping Challenges. Sandra X

Tracey said...

Beautiful card and wonderful sponging for the sky. I love that your starfish appear to be "holding hands".
Thank you so much for joining in our challenge! We hope you will come back and join in again soon. Good Luck!
Hugs, Tracey (DT One Stitch At A Time)
http://serene-stamper.blogspot.ca

Cass said...

Beautiful scene. Thanks for joining us at Sweet Stampin'
Cass xx

Cass said...

Beautiful scene. Thanks for joining us at Sweet Stampin'
Cass xx

Patti J said...

Heather, this turned out so beautifully! I feel like I'm actually seeing your scene in real life. Great job with this uber challenging challenge, my friend!!!

Rachel said...

Beautiful CAS card, thank you for sharing with us at Sweet Stampin this week, Wedgie xxx

crafty said...

Love the scene created here. Thanks for joining us at Crafty cardmakers.
Mary

Cheri said...

Heather, this is a stunning take on the inspiration. The subtle clouds are perfect...the entire scene is so beautiful.

julie_woolston said...

Lovely card Heather, thank you for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers.
Hugs Julie xxx

Stephanie said...

Super awesome card, Heather! I love the silhouette of the palm trees! =)
Stephanie
Craftin Desert Divas DT
Thanks for joining us for Craftin Desert Divas "Nature's Wonder" Linky Party!

Got2BCrafting said...

Gorgeous card!!

Thank you so much for joining us for the Craftin Desert Divas "Nature's Wonders" Linky Party!
~DT Lori

Mrs.B said...

You've created such a peaceful scene, love the silhouette of the palm trees.
Thanks for sharing with us at FSC
Avril x