Sunday, February 14, 2016

Advent Calendar

Well, here we are mid-February and it's time for our mid-month inspiration post from Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge Extra.  It's a month-long anything Christmas related goes challenge.  This time I have something other than a card for your inspiration:
For several years, I've been wanting to make an interactive Advent Calendar for my girls.  I just haven't been able to come up with the right idea and never have the time to make it around Christmas time anyway.  This year I finally got around to making something and it also served to use up some scraps of paper that I have been trying really hard to use.  Here's how this project came to be: I usually hang the Christmas cards we receive in our entryway.  I usually just tape them on above the closet doorway and on the doors if we receive enough.  But this year, we started renovating the entryway and I didn't want to put tape on the newly painted wall.  So, my idea is that I could hang a string across the closet doors and I could use these decorated clothes pins to first hold little kraft bags that hold the little gifts or activity ideas for each day.  Then as that day's bag is opened I can clip in one of the Christmas cards we receive.  I think it's going to be a really fun decoration.  Here's how it was done:  I cut strips of my patterned paper into 1/2 inch by about 3 inches.  I sprayed the back with spray adhesive and adhered them to the clothes pins, then trimmed off the excess length.  I die cut snowflakes in two different sizes for interest and adhered them to the clothes pins.  Then I die cut numbers for each day and used spray adhesive to adhere them on top of the snowflakes.  It was a bit time consuming, but was really quite easy and will be really cute hanging in my entryway.

Challenges:
Inspiration Destination #72--anything goes
Pixies' Playground #216--anything goes using snippets
Crafty Hazelnut's Patterened Paper--anything goes using patterned paper
Hiding in My Craft Room #38--super scraps


Supplies:
Dies: Sweet n' Sassy Stamps small snowflake die; PTI "Fancy Flakes" larger snowflake and number border die

6 comments:

Sarn said...

Great idea and fab use of snippets.

Thanks for coming over to play in the SNIPPETS PLAYGROUND.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Michelle said...

Lovely idea.
Thanks for playing with us at Inspiration Destination.
Good luck, Michelle (DT)

Hazel said...

I love this, Heather. Thanks for your lovely mid-month inspiration for CHNC challenge extra for February. And thanks for adding for my Patterned Paper February challenge. x

AO Creations said...

Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at HIMCR, good luck!!! Amy DT

Barb said...

What an amazing idea. A great way to use up snippets too. Barbxx

scrappymo! said...

Such a great idea and so sweet to display!