Monday, October 5, 2015

Project of The Week

Hi, everyone!  Today is my day to share a Project of The Week on The House That Stamps Built Blog.  Every Monday the member of the DT take turns sharing a different project or technique.  The project I am showing today is a quick and easy gift card holder.  It's super cute and you can dress it up any way you like.  Here's what you'll need to get started:
 -one A2 sized envelope
-colored card stock, 1 piece 3 1/8 x 4 5/8; 2 pieces 2 3/4 x 4 1/4 (1 for the outside; 1 for the inside)
-white card stock, 2 pieces 2 1/2 x 4 (1 outside; 1 inside)
-scrap colored and white card stock for the sentiment
-circle die (I used spellbinders "Classic Circles, Large"--the second smallest one)
-Stamps: Repeat Impressions "Sheet Music", "Butterfly (lg)" and "Happy Hello"
-1 piece of ribbon (mine is 18 inches)
-ink, colored and versamark
-embossing powder and heat tool
-3 pearls
Here we go!  Start by folding the envelope in half with the flap to the inside.  Then cut off the left side of the flap and adhere the right side down.
 Adhere one of the 2 3/4 x 4 1/4 card stock pieces to the front of the envelope.  With the center of the ribbon around the fold, adhere the ribbon to both the back of the envelope and the front of the panel.
 Adhere the larger card stock piece to the back of the envelope.
 I wanted to have the wings of my butterfly hang off the edge of my main panel, so I traced a rectangle 2 1/2 x 4 on my white card stock as a reference point.  If you decorate it some other way, you can just cut it to the measurements.  Then I stamped my sheet music image with gray ink and let it dry (you can see my penciled in rectangle in the photo).
 After letting that dry for a couple minutes, I stamped my butterfly and embossed it with gold glittery embossing powder.
 I used my craft knife and ruler to cut around the lines of my rectangle, being careful not to cut through the butterfly's wing.  Then I used my scissors to cut around the parts that hang over the edge.
 Cut our your sentiment panel, stamp the sentiment and layer it onto colored cardstock.
 Adhere the butterfly panel to the front and add the sentiment with pop dots.
 Here is the inside showing how the gift card fits perfectly in half of the envelope.  I used my remaining cards stock panels to decorate the inside; which also hides the flap of the envelope that is adhered down.
 I added three pearls to the front and voila!  Done.  Add the gift card and use the ribbon to tie a bow to hold it all together.

Challenges:
Simon Says Wednesday--anything goes
Inspiration Destination #53--anything goes
Crafty Gals Corner #39--wings
The Paper Shelter #221--Music Maestro, Please
Mod Squad--wings
Word Art Wednesday #203--anything goes
Clear It Out Challenge--theme: things with wings; stash: glitter
Die Cuttin' Divas #255--anything goes
Our Daily Bread Designs #256--ink or emboss your own background
Craftin' Desert Divas--things with wings
CraftD Bow-Z--anything goes with handmade bow
Suzy Bee's Blooming Challenge #100--embossing (heat embossing on my window)


13 comments:

Ann Chuang Crafts said...

So beautiful card! Love the butterfly with gold glittery embossing powder. Thanks for the tutorials.
Hugs

Lisa B said...

Oh gosh!! Not only is this card gorgeous, I love your tutorial as well!! Thanks for sharing it with us over at Craftin' Desert Divas. I am glad that you linked this beauty up to our "Things with Wings" challenge. Good luck!
Lisa
CDD DT Member

Unknown said...

What a super elegant presentation for a gift card. Thank you for the tutorial. Thank you so much for taking time to post your very creative art with us this week at Word Art Wednesday in our 203rd AG challenge!
Blessings and Hugs, Carole

Gayatri said...

Very elegant! Love the touch of gold. Thanks for playing along Simon Says Stamp Anything Goes Wednesday CHallenge :)
Gayatri

Rae Ann said...

Love the glittery butterfly and the way it hangs over the edges! What a wonderful way to give a gift card.

Thank you for joining us at Crafty Gals Corner for our Things with Wings/Mythical Creatures challenge.

Karen Hasheck said...

Awesome tutorial- I totally pinned this great idea to try it myself! I wish I could subscribe to your blog so I could get your blogposts in my email- is that something you would consider adding to your blog?

Joyce Erb said...

Super cute gift card holder, love the butterfly. Thanks for taking the challenge with us at the Mod Squad Challenge

Marianne said...

Love your card, thanks for joining The Paper Shelter.
Hugs, Marianne

AO Creations said...

Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at Clear It Out, good luck!!! Amy DT

Gail said...

This is so pretty and elegant. I love your embossing and the black bow is a fabulous addition. Thanks for joining us at Craft-Dee BowZ for our October challenge! Hugs, Gail

Heather said...

Wow! Thanks Karen, I'm so glad you like it. I didn't even know that adding a subscription option was something I could do. I'll have to look in to that for you. I'm extremely flattered that you even want to do that.

Connie Baccus said...

Diffidently giving this card a try. So gorgeous and different. Love that. Ty for participating in the Mod Squad Challenge.

Hazel said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely crafting for Suzy Bee's Bloomin' challenge 100 - hope to see you again soon, Hazel, DT x