Friday, September 14, 2018

Far, far away

With DT projects and homeschooling three kiddos, I don't get a lot of time to just play and stamp for projects I want to do.  But the timing was right this week and I needed a birthday card for one of my brothers-in-law.  I got these two Neat and Tangled sets quite a while ago with the intent to use them for a different brother in law, but when his birthday came around, I totally forgot!!  Luckily, I discovered them while going through my box of stamps and pulled them out.  Neat and Tangled is hosting a challenge to create a card/project and create a tutorial for it, so here I go (sorry, this is going to be a photo laden post):
 I started out by finding a rectangle die that fit the Time Warp Image
 A created a frame using that die and a large stitched rectangle die.
 I used sponged daubers and these inks (SU! Basic Black, Lovely Lilac, Brocade Blue, Night of Navy and I switched in Rose Romance for the lighter PTI Sweet Blush and I used PTI Lemon Zest)
 to sponge my galaxy background.
I cut a piece of acetate from some stamp packaging to fit behind the frame and used my Mini Misti to stamp the sentiment with Versamark ink on the acetate.  I used my frame for placement and you can't see it, but the acetate is under the frame in the photo below.
 Then I heat embossed the sentiment with black embossing powder.
 I squirted a tiny bit of white acrylic paint on one of my clear blocks and spritzed it with some water, mixed it up
 and used a paintbrush to flick it onto my frame to create the look of stars.
 As you can see, this was a bit messy with paint getting all over my desk, but never fear!
A couple months ago, I bought myself a microfiber cloth meant for dusting or cleaning at Walmart.  I think there may have been two in a pack for under $5.  I keep one at my desk and it is awesome for cleaning stamps AND other things.  I get it wet and it cleans stamps like a dream.  No more of those little linty bits that I always got when I used baby wipes to clean the stamps.  I just used it to wipe up the paint splatters and the best thing is that when it gets too dirty, I can just throw it in the washing machine and it's as good as new.  And look, clean desk!
 I put my sponged panel in my mini Misti and stamped the Time Warp stamp with Versamark Ink and heat embossed it with white embossing powder.
 I adhered the sponged panel onto a black card base, marked the frame opening lightly with pencil and placed foam tape all around the edges.  Then I filled the shaker box with die cut gold and vellum stars and some gold and clear seed beads.
 And here is is all put together:
 And here is the shaker element in action:
 On the outside, the sentiment says "A Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far, Far Away . . ." and I finished it on the inside with the rest of the sentiment "You were Born" and the Time Warp stamped in yellow.
 Thanks for hanging on until the end!!  I hope you enjoyed yourself!  I know my brother-in-law is going to love it!

Supplies:
Stamps: Neat & Tangled "Time Warp" and "Far, Far Away"
Dies: Spellbinders "A2 Matting Basics A" small rectangle and MFT "Blueprints 25" Large rectangle and stars

Challenges:
Cards Galore #155--anything goes
Creative Inspirations--anything goes
Crop Stop Challenge #43--anything goes
Crafty Friends #90--embossing (heat embossing)
heARTful Stamping--anything goes with a stamp
Shopping Our Stash #371--upcycle (I used a piece of acetate upcycled from some stamp packaging I had saved--you know, for that time when you might need it for something!)
Penny's Challenge #397--anything goes
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday--pop it up (used foam tape to pop up my shaker element)
Crafty Creations #374--anything goes
Pause, Dream, Enjoy--cards + anything goes
Neat and Tangled--photo (or video) tutorial
Cardz TV #65--anything goes
Simon Says STAMPtember Neat and Tangled link up--anything goes with Neat & Tangled



17 comments:

Lisa :) said...

VERY cool card!!!

AO Creations said...

Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at PDE, good luck!!! Amy DT

AO Creations said...

Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at If you give a Crafter a Cookie, good luck!!! Amy DT

Esther Asbury said...

Super fun card, Heather --- I love the galaxy background and the fun sentiment as well! Thanks for linking up to Cropstop this month!

kReN said...

Love this time warp image. Perfect choice! Thanks for joining us at Crafty Creations Challenges. Follow me, kReN, at http://afourthlife.blogspot.com

Donna said...

WOWSERS!!!
Fantastic project!
Perfect birthday wishes for a Star Wars fan!!
Thanks for upcycling with the crew from SHOPPING OUR STASH!!

Alex said...

Wow... amazing project and a very funny idea to combine our theme with the film! Wonderful!

Thanks for playing along with us at our present challenge at Craft Rocket and good luck! Hope you will join us next month again.

Hugs
Alex

*DT* Craft Rocket Challenges {#52 –Men / Boys}
*DT + Admin* Do-Al(l) Kreatives {#21 – Bingo}
*DT* Kreativ-Tanten Challenge {#21 – Things from the Kitchen}
Alex' Kreative Seite

Liz McGuire, said...

Thanks for joining in the fun at Creative Inspirations, your make is brilliant, Liz x

Jackie T said...

Hi this is fantastic. Thank you for joining us at Crafts Galore Encore Challenge Blog for the current challenge which is always Anything Goes. The sponsor is Fabrika Fantasy. Hugs Jackie DT

crafty-stamper said...

WOW absolutely brilliant shaker card love all the details and work that went into this great step by step too--love that stamp
Carol x

KathyA. said...

Coolest card EVER. Love it so much that I'm going to CASE it. Thanks for joining us at Pennys this week. DT Kathy [https://myasperations.blogspot.com]

Misty Elam said...

What a fun card this is. I love the beautiful background and then fun shaker pieces. Thanks so much for joining us for the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
Misty

Dawn said...

Such a fun shaker card ... love the inking for the galaxy background. Thanks for sharing at Crafts Galore Challenge. I wish you luck in the challenge.
Dawn/DT

Mimi said...

Terrific card for a male or female! (I love that about a card-- so good to have on-hand.) Thanks for upcycling with us at Shopping Our Stash! And now I'm pondering, "Does anyone actually buy their acetate, or do we all save our stamp packaging?" 😂

Donna Walls said...

Awww...love this card! Fantastic job! Thanks for playing at Penny's Paper Crafty Challenges. Donna - DT Member

Diane Louise J said...

Hello…. You have made a beautiful card…. Thanks for entering it into the ‘Embossing’ challenge at Crafty Friends Challenge Blog. Good luck in the draw and hope you can join us again for our next challenge.
Diane Louise
[Team Leader for Crafty Friends Challenge Blog]

Monica C. said...

Cool card! I love the galaxy background you did here.
Thank you for joining the Crafting With An Attitude challenge.
Monica C. DT CWAA