Friday, October 6, 2023

Let it snow

Happy Friday!!!  It's time for a new challenge from the Cut It Up Challenge Blog.  This week, the challenge is: Your Favorite Color(s)

Here is my card for your inspiration:
Blue is (and has always been) my favorite color.  My favorite shade of it has changed from a dark, navyish shade to this light blue/turquoise/aqua color which I used for the snowman's accessories and the background.  I also used a much darker blue card stock as layering pieces behind the silver frame and you can see it peeking out in the photo below.  It wasn't meant to be seen, but it does give a sense of depth and shadow, so I rather like it.
                                    
Die cutting and layering the frame was a bit tedious, but I helped myself out by using some double sided adhesive sheets that I adhered to my dark blue cardstock before die cutting the frame (I die cut it 4 different times--once with silver and 3 times with dark blue).  Then it wasn't too difficult to peel off the backing and adhere it to the other frame layers, but as you can see, I didn't get everything lined up perfectly each time.  In the photo below, you can see the background I created using a snowflake embossing folder.  I ended up embossing the front panel of the card base and then I tried to highlight the embossing by rubbing white ink on it.  I think it would have worked better with a darker cardstock, and as I wasn't ready to give up on the idea, I then rubbed on some green/darker aqua ink, but that was too dark!!  So, back to the white ink and I think it does finally help highlight it a bit.  Of course it is mostly covered up by the glitter "snow" and this adorable snowman, but I know it's there.
So, I LOVE this snowflake frame die; it is just gorgeous, specially in silver (which is my favorite metal color of choice)!!  With the dimension, it almost looks like an actual metal piece.  LOVE it!!  I've had it for quite a while now (probably more than a year, or maybe even, gasp, two years!) and hadn't used it.  But I will be using it a lot from now on!!  The snowman die set is one I just received for my birthday last month and it is THE cutest thing!!  I think everyone will be getting Christmas cards with die cut snowmen on them this year!  I added a little shading to different pieces to add depth and highlighted a few other pieces with a white gel pen.  I'm in love!  For the shaker "snow", I used some chunky glitter that I have had for ages!
Thanks so much for stopping by!  I hope you will hop over to the Cut It Up blog for the full details of the challenge and to see what the rest of the Design Team has created. 

Supplies:
Stamps: NONE (this may be a first for me)
Dies: Lawn Fawn "Snow Flurries Backdrop" and "Build a Snowman"
Cuttlebug snowflake embossing folder

Challenges: 
Make My Monday #210--create your own background
Art Impressions #361--Christmas came early
A Gem of a Challenge--anything goes
Simon Says Stamp Monday--add some texture
Double Trouble #149--Scrapper's Trick & Treat (Thing #1: create your own background)
Die Cut Divas--Layer die cuts (I'm not sure my card uses the exact technique in mind, but I did layer 4 die cuts together to create the frame, and layered a whole bunch of pieces together to create the snowman)






Peace On Earth--anything goes with mood board (I was inspired by the snowman)









NBUS #55--never before used schtuff (my frame die and snowman die set)

16 comments:

ScrappyHorses said...

Such a fun and festive card with the beautiful silver die cut and adorable snowman! Wonderful glittery snow, too!

Treva said...

Love your card and the snowflake die with the hint of navy peeking! Blue is a nice color, my favorite shade is navy!

Take care and have a great weekend.

CA Scrapper said...

I love your card!. The snowman is adorable and the background is so beautiful.

Have a good weekend,
Leslie

Johanna said...

I like your background and adding the silver frame with a hint of darker blue underneath really highlights your design. Gluing fiddly die cuts in layers requires a lot of patience. Your snowman is so cute. Personally I prefer to use a wet glue as it gives me time to move things around a bit. Thanks for joining us at MMM. Johanna DT

Heather said...

Gosh, Heather, that is the cutest snowman ever! So adorable, and I love all his little details! Perfect! That snowy and sparkly background is gorgeous with the silver frame, too - a really beautiful card! Thanks so much for playing at Make My Monday!

Jessica Yoder said...

Very, very cute little guy!

Melanie R said...

Wonderful card, Heather! Your snowman is so cute framed by the pretty metallic frame of snowflakes. I love the soft green/blue of your background and accessories. Thank you for playing along with us at Double Trouble Challenge #149. -- Melanie R.

Arlene said...

How absolutely cute! So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Sweet snowman with all his layers, Heather! Thanks for sharing at Die Cut Divas!!

Sue Jackson said...

I'm so glad you gave us a close-up of the embossed background. I love these colors as well. The navy layer behind the silver frame really does add depth. That snowman is fabulous!! Thanks for joining us at Make My Monday challenge! I hope to see you in the gallery again soon. Sue - DT

Lori Turner said...

Super cute card! Thanks so much for joining us at Christmas Craft Creations xoxoox

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

What a wonderful texture and snowman card, love everything about this lovely card.
Faith x

Renee Matarese said...

This is so pretty. I love that soft green for a snowman card. Thanks for joining our challenge on the Art Impressions blog.

Suzanne Reynolds said...

Your background came out beautiful so glad you were persistent the color you wanted... I was just coloring with Copic pens and must have used 6-7 colors before I got the color I wanted. That frame is beautiful and yes lining them up is very difficult, again great patience. Thanks for sharing your adorable snowman with us at Double Trouble.

Kellianne said...

Oh WOW! I absolutely love this card! My favorite color right now is also that light and soft aqua color. I love how you used it! That snowflake frame is perfection too. Thanks for joining us at Double Trouble :)

Jenny L said...

Hi Heather,
this is such a fantastic card and such a wonderful design.
Love the glittery embossed background and that sweet snowman.
Such a great edge die too.
Tnank you for joining the MAWTT Challenge.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L. DT