Tuesday, March 31, 2020

In my thoughts

So, I'm busy cleaning up my workspace (well, slowly, but still working on it).  Some of the "cleaning" involved putting away stamps and dies and other goodies that I got a while ago and haven't had a chance to use or organize.  This beautiful Avery Elle set, "Orchid" was a set I won several months ago and it has just been sitting there.  I wasn't really sure I would get much use out of it, but after inking it up and coloring it . . . wow, it is gorgeous!!  I got a chance to play with it this week and I have to say, this may be one of my favorite cards ever!!
 I stamped the image and colored it and was going to use the matching dies that I also won.  But, when I put the stamp on the block, I guess I didn't have it laid out correctly (the stamp is open between the stem and the flower cluster) and the die didn't fit.  So, I had to resort to fussy cutting, which is what I usually do anyway.  Then I created my own background "paper" using several of the flower/bud images from the same set.  It was a little too bold, so I covered it with  a piece of vellum.  Now it's so soft and pretty.  I used a brick wall stencil to create a soft background on the top panel.  I adhered my image with foam tape and after embossing the sentiment on black, I also attached it with foam tape.  Finished everything off with some purple sequins.  Now, a close up of these gorgeous flowers:
I wasn't too sure about the coloring until I added the little wisker lines with a white gel pen.  It adds soooo much!

Supplies:
Stamps: Avery Elle "Orchid"
MFT brick wall stencil

Challenges:
Double Trouble #53--SomeThing, AnyThing, Everything (Thing #1: anything goes)
Make My Monday #119--make your own background paper
Lil' Patch of Crafty Friends #128--anything goes
Pink Gem--anything goes
Sweet Stampin'--make your own background
Cardz TV #111--anything goes
Word Art Wednesday--anything goes with uplifting sentiment
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday--anything goes
Time Out Challenge #158--lots or a little purple with the optional twist: friendship
ART Impressions Stamps #279--bloom where you are planted
CAS(E) #365--sketch

Crafty Gals #205--use flowers
30-Day Coloring Challenge--just color
STAMPlorations Stencil Challenge--anything goes with a stencil

14 comments:

Suzanne Reynolds said...

What a striking card, beautiful fussy-cut flowers and stamped background, coloring is fantastic and the vellum and brick embossment a great background for your card...gorgeous card. Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble. Now, for a another challenge, get your favorite chips out, and would love you to celebrate with us at our National Goof-Off Day and share a Chip Shape and don't worry about perfection, you already have that with this card. Go to: http://doubletroublechallenge.blogspot.com/2020/03/fun-challenge-national-goof-off-day-and.html

sandie said...

This is fab-love the use of the vellum and such a cool design and these gorgeous flowers, can you come and organise my craft space! Thanks for joining Time Out x

Chris said...

This is gorgeous! Such a lovely stamp, coloured so perfectly. Love the way you used the same stamp to create the background panel. Great use of the vellum to soften the striking colours so the main image stands out. Thank you for playing along at Sweet Stampin' this week.
Chris
x

Donna Scholz said...

Absolutely beautiful card, Heather! Thank you for sharing the details of how you created it. The use of vellum was the perfect solution to your initial dilemma!Thank you for joining us at Double Trouble!!! -Donna

Glittered Paws said...

Perfect - I think you will surely get some mileage out of this stamp. Love the muted background with the vellum and the embossing on the sentiment.

Dawn Phillips said...

This is really gorgeous. I like the use of vellum over your background. You can see it but it allows the image to shine and doesn't detract from it. Thanks for joining us at Make My Monday. Love Dawn x

Lisa Lynn said...

WOW, this is awesome. LOVE your coloring.

Kellianne said...

I love this flower image! And that was a very creative way to use that sketch! So glad you'd play along with us at Double Trouble! :)

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

Wonderful use of the sketch, and that stamp set really is gorgeous, and more so because of your amazing coloring. I love the faint brick background. This one is a real beauty. Thanks so much for joining us at Time Out.

Sanna said...

beautiful card!!! thank you for playing along with us at STAMPlorations challenges!!!

Joy Wilson said...

Love your design! Thanks for joining our Anything Goes Challenge at Lil Patch of Crafty Friends. I hope join us again real soon!
Hugs, Joy
Joyfully Stamps
Lil Patch of Crafty Friends, Owner/Coordinator

Melanie R said...

Outstanding card, Heather! Your design and colors are so beautiful. Thank you for playing along with us at Double Trouble #53.

Cazro said...

I adore the teechnique you used here, the bakground is so serene and elegant. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing at Make My Monday. Caz DT

creativetimewithme said...

Awesome cards! Glad you were able to join us for the Make Your Own Background Paper challenge!


Hugs,
Mary Ellen, MMM DT - https://www.creativetimewithme.com/