Monday, December 25, 2017

Peace

Merry Christmas!!!  Today is Project of the Week day over on the House That Stamps Built  blog, and it's my week to share a project with you.  Raise your hand if you have one of those Giant packs of Mulberry paper that were so popular in the mid-2000s.  Raise it really high if you still have TONS of it left!  My hand is raised as high as I can get it, so I'm going to show you how you can use some of it up.
 I learned this technique from Bonnie Garby and now I use it all the time.  It really adds great texture and softness and uses some of that mulberry paper.  Here's what you need:
--mulberry paper
--dies and/or straight edge
--fine paint brush and water or I used my SU! blender pens (an aqua brush would also work)
Lay your die on the mulberry paper, making sure you leave some room around the edges as it is hard to tear if you don't have much paper to grab onto.
 Use your wet paintbrush (or blender pen/aqua brush) to trace around the edge of the die.  Go over it several times to make sure it is damp.
Then gently tear around the water line.  It tears quite easily and the tear stays along the wet line for the most part.  But, the softness of the torn edges hides any place where it might tear off the line a little bit.  In the photo below, you can see my torn circle and the tracing around my label die.  This was the first time I had tried this with such a sharp point on the die, but you will see later it still worked perfectly.
 As you can see below, this left a narrow border around the label.  I ended up cutting those wild fibers a little bit before I adhered everything.
 To do a straight edge for a panel mat, use your ruler, or I use my perfect layer tool to draw a straight line with your wet paintbrush/blender pen.  This part is even easier as the straight lines tear really nicely!
 And while I was creating this project, I discovered a great way to use those little torn strips left over from tearing a mat--you can adhere them to the back of another panel and no one will ever know they were scraps!
And here is the finished card:
I love the softness of the mulberry layers; it adds so much interest.  The white label die cut was in my bits and pieces stash and the multi-colored dotted paper and the silver snowflake were cut from scraps as were all the mulberry layers.  I heat embossed the ornament image, poinsettia, and the peace sentiment with silver embossing powder and colored in the ornament topper with a silver sharpie.  Love how it turned out!

Supplies:
Stamps: Repeat Impressions "Ornament Frame", "Peace" and "Poinsettia"
Dies: Spellbinders "Classic Circles, large"; Verve "Vintage Oval Frame"; Memory Box "Lindeman Snowflake"; MFT "Scalloped trio"

Challenges:
The Holly and Ivy Christmas Challenge--anything Christmas goes
Creative Craft Cottage #102--anything goes
Pixie's Crafty Workshop #313--anything goes with snippets (snippets of mulberry paper and the items from my bits and pieces stash)
Hiding In My Craft Room #332--any holiday
Cardz TV #27--anything goes
Crimbo Crackers #148--anything goes
Cute Card Thursday #509--anything goes
C.R.A.F.T. #447--anything goes
The Merry Christmas Challenge #48--anything goes
Mod Squad--winter holiday
Crafty Creations #357--anything goes
Crafty Gals' Corner Challenge #154--anything goes
The Paper Shelter--anything goes
Shopping Our Stash #334--Gah!! Pink!
Fussy and Fancy #202--Christmas
Crafter's Cafe--Christmas OR red, white, and green
In The Pink #127--pink Christmas
Creative Inspirations #284--Christmas/winter
Stinkin' Inkers--celebrating the holidays
Viva La Verve--sketch

Crafting with an Attitude--anything goes
Dare 2B Artzy--spirit of the season


22 comments:

tonilea said...

HA! My hand is raised, though not high. I have a little of that paper left from ages ago. I love how you have used it to soften the edges. It looks really nice. I am definitely going to try it (if I can find where I stashed that paper! I have way too much "stuff", but then, don't we all?)
Merry Christmas

Esther Asbury said...

I love the pink and green color combo of this beautiful Christmas card. The mulberry paper creates a soft touch that takes this card to the next level! Soo pretty!

Janis Lewis said...

Cute! Thanks for sharing at Holly & Ivy.
Janis, Design Team Member

Rene said...

This is beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing this with us at Creative Inspirations. Good luck,
Rene

Brenda said...

What a wonderful way to add texture and interest while making great use of your stash! Thanks so much for joining us at CRAFT Challenge this week. Happy Holidays!

@d_e_crafts said...

Lovely subtle colours. Thank you for joining the CRAFT challenge.

Donna said...

Ohhhhhhhhh that's a lovely use of your mulberry paper!
I do believe I have some in my stash somewhere as well!
Thanks for going GAH! PINK! with the crew from SHOPPING OUR STASH!!

Aunty Sue said...

Lovely Creation great tutorial and thanks for sharing with us at craft and hope you hade a good christmas

Grudniowe Handmade said...

Beautiful card.
Thank you so much for sharing this with us at CRAFT Challenge this week.
Monika

Beth Brovold said...

Beautiful Heather!! Thank you for sharing with us at Fussy and Fancy!
Take care,
Beth

Di said...

What a great idea Heather - and I certainly do have a load of mulberry paper languishing here. Such a pretty effect - love your end result!

Hugs

Di xx

cass said...

Thank you for entering The Crafter's Cafe Challenge this fortnight for our "Christmas and/or Red White and Green" challenge.

Sabina said...

Lovely card.
Thank you for entering The Crafter's Cafe Challenge.
Sabina DT

Tip Top said...

Great project - thank you for entering Crimbo Crackers and hope to see you again soon!

Larissa said...

Very lovely card and a really nice tutorial. The mulberry paper is really nice. Thanks so much for joining us at In the pink!

Hugs,
Larissa

JoAnn said...

Gorgeous card Heather. I love the soft colors and the way you used the mulberry paper. Thanks for sharing.

ccheney said...

Very pretty! Thank you for joining us at Creative Craft Cottage. Cindy (DT)

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

This is so pretty! Love the softness the mulberry paper adds. So glad you could join us for Viva la Verve!

Oh You Made Me Ink said...

Your card is so pretty! Thanks for sharing it with us at Shopping Our Stash! Cyndi, DT

Liz said...

Just popped over to your blog from the Playground. What a fabulous card! I love the design and I'm one of those people with a pile of mulberry paper gathering dust! I'll certainly be giving this technique a try, thanks for the inspiration. xx

Jenny L said...

Hi Heather,
just popped over from the playground to a big congrats on your gold star award.
A well deserved accolade as your card is brilliantly created, and so pretty.
I am also one of those people with lots of Mulberry paer too.
Now I will be trying this technique for sure.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Elizabeth said...

Popping over from the Playground to congratulate you on your well earned Gold Star, Heather. What a great technique - the effect on the Mulberry paper is lovely and the card is beautiful. I do believe I have some left, somewhere, so I will have to give your technique a try. Thanks for sharing. Elizabeth x