Monday, January 23, 2017

Strawberries

Today is my day to post a Project of the Week over on The House That Stamps Built blog.  Pierced dies are really popular right now and I'd love to have them ALL!!  But, if you're like me and can't spend all that money, I'm going to show you how you can get the look with dies you already own.

What you will need:
Dies (they need to be open on the inside like the ones I used from Spellbinders)
A piercing tool (I used my multi tool from Spellbinders, but I also have a regular piercing tool.  You could probably also use a straight pin)
Some kind of mat to protect your work surface
Stamps (I used Repeat Impressions "Strawberries" and "Smile")

 Cut out your card stock with the die and leave it IN the die.  Using the piercing tool, pierce the card stock right along the edge of the die.
 Continue piercing right along the inside edge of the die.  I space mine out about 1/8 inch, but you could do it a little farther apart if you'd like.  I don't measure, just eyeball it; no one will be able to tell if it's not exactly even.
 Here's what it looks like once I pierced all the way around and removed the die:
 A perfectly pierced die cut circle!  You can do this with any shaped die as long as it is open in the middle.  I hope you will give it a try.  Here's my finished card:

Supplies:
Stamps: Repeat Impressions "Strawberries" and "Smile"
Dies: Spellbinders "Classic Circles, large", Classic Ovals, large" and "Standard Scalloped Ovals, large"

Challenges:
Sweet Stampin'--dies & punches
Hiding In My Craft Room #285--color it!
Cardz TV #1--anything goes
Creative Fingers #123--anything goes
Brown Sugar Challenge #234--anything goes
Inspiration Destination--anything goes
Word Art Wednesday #226--anything goes with uplifting sentiment
Fab N Funky #334--must use ribbon
Craft-Dee BowZ--anything goes with uplifting sentiment
Sweet Sketch Wednesday 2--sketch (I turned it on its side)



17 comments:

Di said...

Lovely card and such a clever trick Heather! Well done and thanks for sharing.

Hugs

Di xx

Kellie 0:) said...

What a great idea Heather. TFS

shelly said...

your card is lovely. thanks for the tute on the piercing :) and thank you for sharing with us at cardztv! happy crafting, shelly

Kathie said...

Heather what a great idea, piecing your image to the edge of your die, I must try that now. Love your card those Strawberries are so lovely one of my very favourite fruits and your design paper and stunning ribbon couldn't be more perfect. Great card and thanks so much for sharing it with us this fortnight over at Sweet Sketch Wednesday 2 and good luck.

Hugs
Kathie SSW2~DT

Barbara Bruder said...

WOW what a super card. And thanks for the tutorial on piercing. Will definutely try this. Thanks so much for entering your lovely card into our 'Anything Goes with a Handmade Bow' challenge at Craft-Dee BowZ this month. I look forward to seeing what you create for our next challenge. Hugs, Barbara

Chris said...

Fabulous card, a real reminder of Summer...I can almost taste those strawberries! Thanks for the great tutorial too...will definitely be trying this, so simple but very clever!
Thanks for joining us at Sweet Stampin'.
Chris
x

Donna said...

Great idea, tutorial and beautiful card Heather!

Donna said...

Great idea, tutorial and beautiful card Heather!

Glittered Paws said...

Oh wow - why didn't I think of doing that - I am so happy we have weekly projects - I am definitely going to try this one for sure.

Judith said...

How pretty is this! - just love the colours and lovely image. Thank you so much for playing along at Fab'n'Funky this week hugs Judith x

sweetbloominscraps said...

Beautiful Strawberry image and card! I love your piercing tutorial. Thanks so much for sharing! It's always great to learn new techniques without having to purchase new supplies! Thanks for joining us at SSW2!
Judi SSW2

Heide said...

What a super match with image and paper. Such a cute card! Thanks for joining us this challenge. Hugs, Heide SSW2-DT

Joanna M. said...

What a great tutorial. I'm sad that I bought the die that does that for me now that I see how easy it is to do it without the fancy (and expensive) die. Great card btw.
~Jo, SSW2-DT

Ginny Maxam said...

Great card, so cheerful and a super Tutorial!! Thank you for joining us at Word Art Wednesday! Ginny M, DT

CRAZYCRAFTSHED said...

Beautiful card Heather thank you for joining us over on
Inspiration Destination
Dianne xx
IDCB DT

Melissa said...

Such a lovely card, thanks for joining Cardz TV!

Linda Anderson said...

Great tutorial!! And what a gorgeous card too. So bright and summery!! Thanks for joining us at Sweet Sketch Wednesday 2.

Linda